|Research Centers||Administration||Research Areas||News and Publications||Partners|
The Upper Coast Plain Agricultural Research Center (formerly known as the Upper Coastal Plain Substation) was established on 734 acres near Winfield (in Fayette and Marion counties) in 1944; it was the first of five new substations added to the outlying branch system in the 1940s.
A small dairy unit received considerable emphasis in the early years. In later years beef cattle and swine research as well as forage and horticultral crop studies have provided information needed by local, small-acreage farmers of this region of the state.
The Upper Coast Plain Substation was one of the five substations established in Alabama during and a few years after World War II: Upper Coastal Plain in 1944, Piedmont Substation in 1945, North Alabama Horticulture Substation at Cullman in 1948, Chilton Area Horticulture Substation at Clanton in 1948 and the Lower Coastal Plain Substation at Camden in 1948.
History adapted from the following publications:
Kerr, N.A. 1985. A History of the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station: 1883-1983. Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn, Alabama.
Yeager, J. and G. Stevenson. 2000. Inside Ag Hill: The People and Events That Shaped Auburn’s Agricultural history from 1872 through 1999. Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, Auburn, Alabama.
Last Updated: October 13, 2011